“It is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me.”
– Galatians 2: 20
The French School of Spirituality of Cardinal Pierre Bérulle, had a deep influence in the spiritual development of our Congregation. As a Foundress, Marie Rivier was thoroughly formed by her spiritual guide M. Pontanier, a Sulpician Priest. To understand the thoughts, teachings, writings, devotions and the apostolic activities of Marie Rivier, we need to get acquainted with some of the main characteristics of the French School of Spirituality:
- The sense of God’s presence, self-offering and of adoration;
- A relationship with Jesus, the Incarnate Word lived out mainly through communion with his mysteries
- A great devotion to the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of the Risen Christ;
- Love and devotion to Mary, Mother of God;
- A mystical sense of the Church as the Body of Christ continuing and accomplishing the life of Jesus, his prayer and mission;
- An extremely strong apostolic and missionary commitment.
These aspects of the French School of Spirituality found fulfillment in Marie Rivier’s life. This can be seen in her union to the mysteries of Jesus Christ, her love for the Virgin Mary, for the Cross, the Gospel, the Church, the Eucharist, the Beatitudes, the poor, the children and youth.
Our way of life
Our PM way of life finds its meaning and joy in our deep adherence to the person of Jesus Christ and in our relationship with the Blessed Virgin Mary. The writings of our Foundress Marie Rivier continually invite us to follow Jesus Christ and to act according to his spirit, (C2) and to be daughters of Mary, called to live like her in a state of adoration and offering before God, walking in love in his presence. (C11)